Tuesday 16 August 2011

New Page Reviewed and A Staff Member's Thoughts

Jaimie is another staff member that recently left to work as a veterinary surgeon. You can read her thoughts below. One of her pages has now been reviewed and can be seen at Ascaridia in Poultry.

Working for Wikivet

I joined the Wikivet team straight after finishing my finals in the interim before getting my first job as a Veterinary Surgeon.  It has been a very enjoyable experience and I feel lucky to have worked on the Wikivet project.  It was a good way to earn some money whilst learning a lot about different veterinary diseases through reading disease CABI sheets and summarising key facts and creating Wikivet pages.  I also helped to choose useful revision questions from Manson Self-Assessment Colour Review guides to open these resources up to all vet students online.  It gave me great job satisfaction to know that my work is going to help other veterinary students who will benefit from this information and the revision flashcards that I have designed. 
It has been great to work alongside other students from different Veterinary Institutions and during the project I have met some really lovely people who are dedicated to opening up learning resources to veterinary students and different target audiences.  During the project you get to work from home so you can work around other commitments.  The project runs weekly Skype conferences so immediately you feel part of the team and your opinions and ideas really count and matter.  The work areas are diverse and you can develop areas that you are interested in e.g. podcasts, dissection guides, information pages, quizzes etc .  I really hope that Wikivet continues to grow and expand and I wish the team every continuing success.  Wikivet really is a resource that current vet students cannot afford not to utilise and I only wish that I had had access to these resources as a student to aid my revision and learning.

Thank you for giving me this opportunity,
Best wishes
Jaimie Meagor

No comments:

Post a Comment